Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Scared to run outside

Today I am going to force myself to run outside. I have avoided it at all costs, even to the point of picking fights with my husband so I did not have to go run outside. I can run for hours(okay 1 hour) on the treadmill. I seriously go into a panic thinking about running outdoors.

I am not sure what the block is, but I have some thoeries.

1. If I run outside EVERYONE can see me, at the gym only the people there can see me run. Bonus is I work out at the YMCA, so most people are in the same shape I am in, not super buff people. Infact on the treadmill today I worked out next to a 70+ woman on one side, and an 82 year old man(he told me) on the other.

2. I am not secure in how I look running, I am afriad people will drive by and laugh at the fat girl trying to run.

3. Bra, I have huge boobs, like 38 G cup, no matter the bra I buy there is still some major bouncing that I once again don't mind the few people at the gym seeing but to open that to the public freaks me out.

It all comes down to my insecurities. Walking I would have no issue with, but running freaks me out. So today I am going to run to my meeting...

8 comments:

Laura said...

You can do it! I remember my first run outside, it was terrifying! But after awhile I couldn't imagine running on the treadmill again. It's so nice in the fresh air. Let us know how it goes, but I know you'll do great! Plus keep in mind, when people drive by they only see you for 5 seconds, and then they'll forget all about it!

Katie J ♥ said...

I can understand your dilemma but maybe you could try going early in the a.m. or in the evening so less people would see you. Just make sure to be safe.

I got a sports bra and it seems to help a little with the bouncing but I do wear it over my regular bra but I am only a DD not a G ;-)

P.S. The word verification was "busts" how funny is that!

Cara said...

I definitely have a problem with doing pretty much anything physical outside, so I know how you feel. I think it is great that you are stepping outside of your comfort zone. :)

CJ said...

Oh my god! I had a sense of deja vu when I read this post. It's exactly what I had posted a couple of weeks back! Then I decided to stop restricting myself and get outdoors. I was petrified the first couple of days, but you know no one cared about me and did not even look at me! Now I am addicted to running outdoors. Take my tip, run outdoors early in the morning when there are far less people. You'll feel better.

Anonymous said...

How did the run go? I promise it will be SOOO exhilirating! And you know what, when I see people running outside - no matter their size - the ONLY thing I think is... "I wish I were like that..." - getting out there and going for it - nothing but awesome.
:)
You can run for an hour? You rock!

Learning to be Less said...

I used to feel that way about running. Hence the vampire method - I would run in the dark early morning hours before anyone was out and about.

I thought about you this week. I ate a cheesecake factory (super yummy veggies, by the way). I saw all the wait staff wearing all white. Really? Seems unfair to me. I hope you do not have to wear all white. All black I could live with but it would be hard to even find white pants.

Katie J ♥ said...

Knock Knock Katie. How are you doing?

Learning to be Less said...

Hey girl, are you okay???